With Christmas fast approaching I decided to sit down and come up with a list of things that can be done with my girls over the holidays. Obviously we can’t do them all but we can choose some and make sure that the time is well planned out and fun.
Since we live in Canada and close to the mountains we are destined to have snow (however, while I am writing this, it is raining outside… very odd) so some of these ideas are meant for a snowy climate but if you do not get snow where you are, there are other ideas here, or even try to think of fun ways to adapt the snow activities. Get creative with them!
- Sleigh Ride – Such a great time! We did this for a few years with groups of friends. There were generally three families of four that would go out to a Ranch in the country and spend the day doing a beautiful sleigh ride, some sledding on the hill nearby and then some time around a large fire pit, drinking hot chocolate and eating snacks. This really makes for a memorable day!
- Tubing, skiing and or snowshoeing – Since we’re only about an hour and a half away from the mountains, we love tubing at a nearby ski hill. What a blast this is – definitely a thrill toboggan ride. We have attempted cross country skiing but only my oldest and I enjoyed it. I have to tell you a little secret here… I have lived near the mountains my entire life and my husband for most of his and neither of us can ski. AT ALL! Crazy right? We really have no desire either. Like I said I do enjoy the cross country skiing but put me on a hill going straight down at mach 10, NO THANKS!! I’m good on a slightly sloped hill and that’s about it. We do want to try snowshoeing this year so maybe a fun day of tubing and snowshoeing will be on our list.
- Sledding – Always a great idea with kids… and really, do you have to have kids to have some fun? I think not! Grab some friends, take your dog, it really is a lot of fun. After a good day of sledding you can return home (or hit your favourite coffee shop) for a warm hot chocolate. Always the best thing to top off a day of sledding.
- Build a snowman – Again not just for kids! It was always fun having snowmen around our place with our last dog. She woulds go crazy barking at them and if given the chance would take them down. I think she was scared they were coming to take over.
- Ice skating – This can be done anywhere there is an indoor or outdoor rink.
- Cut down your own Christmas tree or just have a nice adventure out at a tree lot. Please don’t cut down your neighbor’s tree… This is very much frowned upon. 😛
- Check out Christmas Lights – Take a drive to check out the light displays in your area. Our Zoo does a huge light display every year. Well worth checking out. On a warmish night of course. 😛
- Hot Chocolate Date – It is always fun to treat yourself to a special hot chocolate from your favourite coffee shop. We usually go out on Christmas eve to Second Cup with the girls and get some fun hot chocolate. Peppermint and S’mores are some of our favourites!
Now if it is really cold and you don’t feel like venturing into the great outdoors here is a list ideas for staying warm in the house.
- DIY Hot Chocolate bar – Who doesn’t love hot chocolate. Everyone loves to make their own mix of flavours and it is so much fun for the kids to get to add their own toppings. It also makes an amazing idea for a festive holiday party. I will be posting next week on how to set up your own hot chocolate bar.
- S’mores bar – Picture it… in your home huddled around the fireplace drinking some of your homemade hot chocolate that you took the time to heap with whip cream, chocolate shavings, caramel sauce and a sprinkle of salt! Toasting marshmallows over a cute little dish, lined with pretty stones and some canned chaffing oil. Don’t forget to try different things in your s’mores. We always like to experiment with things like mini Reese’s peanut butter cups in the middle of the marshmallow, or even a teddy gram with a bit of dark chocolate stuffed into the middle of the toasted marshmallow. OH! So good! Open an Oreo cookie and sandwich a toasted marshmallow in between it. We have tried almost everything.
- Plan a gathering – Have some friends over to enjoy a hot chocolate and s’mores bar.
- Baking – This is always a fun thing to do on a cold day leading up to Christmas. Plan a baking day. Involve the kids! We bake like crazy over the holidays.
- Games night – Grab some games, turn on the fireplace and have a hot drink. Can you get much more cozy and fun here? I love games night, mostly because my youngest goes crazy during them and drives my husband and other daughter crazy. It’s fun to watch. It’s like a game in itself. 😛
- Movie night – If you are not a games person how about a movie night. Be sure to pop some popcorn grab some treats, a snuggly blanket, dim the lights and watch your favourite movie. Always fun to marathon Christmas movies at this time of year. Some suggestions would be:
- A Christmas Story
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
- Die Hard
- Polar Express
- The Santa Clause
- Miracle on 34th Street
- The Grinch
- The Holiday
- Arthur Christmas
- Home Alone
- Decorate the Tree – If it is early or you haven’t already done it, get out that tree and put on some Christmas music. Light some candles and get decorating. Make sure you sing along to the Christmas music. This totally helps get you in the mood!
- Breakfast – I know… what is so great about breakfast? I don’t just mean a bowl of cereal or piece of toast. Make fresh cinnamon buns. Whip up some crepes, pancakes or waffles and have a variety of toppings for them. Make a mini buffet of all kinds of things… the ideas are endless.
- Read a Good Book – And finally something if you are just wanting some cozy time on your own. Who doesn’t love wrapping up in a snugly blanket by the fireplace with a good book and a warm drink. Relax and enjoy the Christmas tree lights.
So I hope this list gives you enough ideas to fill up your holidays with fun. I know I am going to have troubles narrowing it down to try to fit it in my week off. I want to do it all!
Be sure to check in next week for my Hot Chocolate Bar post. Or better yet sign up for my weekly emails so you never miss a post. 🙂
Take a minute let me know in the comments if you have any things you love to do over the holidays. I am always looking for more fun ideas.
Other posts that might interest you.