I often wonder if my husband and I are one of the few people who really don’t do a big date night for Valentine’s Day.
We don’t make big plans to go out to a fancy restaurant or buy gifts to exchange for one another. Not really sure why. Maybe it’s because we are older and it seems like such a hassle to get a reservation, get out of our sweats and actually go out into what could be a -30 degree day here!
No. I’m kidding. We aren’t that old grumpy couple… yet.
It’s not that we are against the holiday or anything… It’s just really something we have never really celebrated. We have been together for around 28 years now and it is one holiday that comes and goes.
I love the idea of date nights but on what is probably one of a restaurants busiest nights of the year for reservations, I would rather stay at home.
On Valentines you really need to make sure that you are on the ball and book well in advance. (not our strong suit)
Then you still fall into the chance that you may have to wait a bit for the previous people to leave. (we get hangry easily)
And potentially be put at a crappy table that is in a loud area or by the cold and drafty door.
For a night that is supposed to be special this does not sound fun! Does it? Maybe it’s just me.
*This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you click a link and make a purchase.*
I have thought about this and came up with what I think would be 5 great ways to spend an at home date night with my man! So, if on the off chance you are one of those people that love to celebrate Valentine’s, but perhaps forgot to book the restaurant… (oops!) Then here are a couple of great date nights that you can pull together in a short amount of time. And they may turn out to be your new go to date night for any time of the year.
Stay At Home Valentine’s Day (or really any night) Date Night Ideas
- Set up a blanket and a tons of pillows (make this cozy) beside a fireplace. If you don’t have a fireplace, get creative – use an arrangement of battery operated candles – or real ones if you like to live dangerously! 😛
- Pack a basket with some wine, some chocolate covered strawberries (if you don’t want to make these, order them from edible arrangements or your local grocery store bakery), throw in a nice meat and cheese tray.
- Put on some music, dim the lights and JUST TALK!
- Skip the dinner all together and do a dessert bar. Set up a sundae and hot chocolate bar!
- Really, putting these two together makes great sense. All the toppings for the hot chocolate could be used for the sundae as well and you can eat your ice cream then warm up with a cup of warm hot chocolate after.
- Check out how to make a hot chocolate bar here.
- Order pizza from your favourite pizza place.
- Pop up some popcorn.
- Get on your PJ’s.
- Gather a ton of blankets and pillows and pick your favourite movie.
- I’m not talking your typical board game type night…
- I’m talking about getting out your game console and battle your significant other to a rousing game of… Just Dance or Wii bowling! Or perhaps something not so fun like Call of Duty or something!
- Perhaps you planned a double date night and again someone forgot to book the restaurant…
- Set out some fancy cheese and appetizers. (by fancy I obviously mean the ones from your local grocery store freezer section)
- Open a couple of bottles of wine and enjoy the company of friends.
- You can really add any of the above to this one except maybe the romantic fire and strawberries. That could get a little awkward!
Mix and match any of these ideas together to come up with your perfect stay at home date night.
My Perfect stay at home date night with my husband!
For me I could do them all in one night! Here is a recap of what my date might look like:
First, we have our appetizer of strawberries, while sitting on a mountain of pillows by the fireplace. Being very careful not to tip the pillows over into the hot glass of the fieplace. (Yes we do live dangerously).
Next, onto a pizza dinner with a fully loaded sundae for dessert. All the toppings baby!
Then, on to a rousing game of Wii bowling (yes we still own the original Wii). Here I kick my bowling geek of a husbands butt because I put a piece of tape over his sensor to throw off his game.
From here we pop some popcorn, load up our hot chocolate and get ready to cuddle under a heap of blankets to watch Dirty Dancing. (my husbands choice 😛 )
Once the movie is done at 3:00pm, our friends will come over for our wonderful wine and cheese tray. (all purchased from the local grocer and plated to look like I slaved away)
We will talk, we will laugh and we will kick them out by 6:00 because come on… I am not as young as I used to be.
Woohoo 8:00 and I’m in bed after having the most dreamy date night at home ever!
Be sure to drop your ideas of your perfect, G rated, at home date night in the comments below. I’m always up for more things to throw into my perfect night. 😀